What does it do:
* helps the body absorb calcium - needed to avoid soft, brittle bones know as osteoporosis, which a major problem for us in NZ.
* Helps maintain muscle and nerve health.
* Supports our immune system by fighting off bacteria and viruses.
* AND sunshine makes you happier!
How do we get it:
* 90% of Vitamin D is delivered to us through the sunshine - part of the reason we have an issue absorption in NZ is because we need to lather ourself up with sunscreen due to our nasty sun, and that blocks the metabolism of Vitamin D. A good way to get it is have 10-15mins of unprotected exposure outside of peak times - don't let yourself get burnt.
* Food provides some Vitamin D - a good source is tuna and salmon.
* If you think you are low, have a chat to your Dr about getting tested and if needed, a supplement.
So, get yourself outside today if you can and top up your supply!
Mandy Crawford, Doctor of Osteopathy